Start of project prototype
Spoke to my CSE professor about children's cognitive learning techniques so I can have a more clear idea of how children can learn effectively from this program that I am designing. Her research is more directed at college students rather than elementary school children, so her focus is more on how to maintain their attention and get them involved in the lecture through use of iClicker and group discussions.
I also spoke to a Professor from the Visual Arts department about how my project is more of a design program rather than art, and what I can do to make sure that this is still "art". Mainly, I should focus on HOW children will be involved in my project. For example, the fractal art that they create through my program while learning math at the same time, will form a collection of generated art that will be displayed as part of my piece. The young students that I plan on holding a workshop for are students from my EDS139 practicum course (Education Studies), who are particularly from low-income families. Because most of these students aren't exposed to the opportunity of higher education, if these young students could see their own works on a art gallery or a university gallery, their views on college education may change and it may encourage them to work harder and achieve higher goals than before.
I began writing my code on Processing, using the basic Archimedean spiral shape...
processing - shapeprimitive, triangleflower, curves, translate, rotate, curvevertex
Archimedean Spiral: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArchimedesSpiral.html
"Technology in the classroom is only successful if it engages" -Diana Oblinger
It's important that students' input is physically carried out onto the visual that they are playing around with.
No comments:
Post a Comment